[speak] ThurmSpeaks::Buying Stock in America After the Killing of Osama bin Laden (CRAY)

I'm blogging my stock market activities and Cray is going to be a chapter in a book that I'm going to write (and probably self-publish). I've been blogging about Cray since 10 May 2004 and this ThurmSpeaks was posted seven years later on 10 May 2011.

The United States of America killed Osama bin Laden a day or two after the stock markets closed on 29 April 2011. I "celebrated" the killing of bin Laden by buying some more CRAY at $6.00 on 4 May 2011.

	Cray Information on 9 May 2011
	==============================
	52-week range: $4.51 - $8.38
	PSR (Price-Sales-Ratio):  0.66
	Insiders ownership:  12%
	% of Float Held by Institutional & Mutual Fund Owners:	68%
	...Wells Fargo & Company:  14.5%
	...Wells Fargo Advantage Small Cap Value Fund:  10.8%
	short interest ratio:  8.4

Cray reported 1Q'11 results on 9 May 2011. Cray, which had $1.65 per share in cash and $0 debt at the end of 2010, ended 1Q'11 with $125.9 million, or $3.62 per share in cash.

Cray is a highly speculative investment; CRAY shares could drop to $0 in nanoseconds.

On 9 May 2011 CRAY closed at $6.51, while our average cost per share was $5.57. Personal finances will dictate what we do with our CRAY shares, but right now we won't sell any shares until they hit $9.11.

History of CRAY in the GDT::Portfolio

I bought our first CRAY shares on 10 May 2004 at $26.68. I purchased CRAY three additional times during 2004 and at the end of 2004 our average cost per share was $20.45. On 14 July 2009 and 8 August 2009 (i.e. 5+ years after our first CRAY purchase) I sold the CRAY shares that were bought in 2004 at an average cost per share of of $8.45.

On 4 February 2005 I restablished an investment in CRAY buying a small amount at $13.72. 83% of the shares were sold 4.5 years later at $9.25. The remaining 17% of these CRAY shares are still in the portfolio with a holding period of 6 years, 3 months, 6 days.

I bought CRAY two times in 2006, six times in 2007, and three times in 2008. None of the shares have been sold. Note: CRAY shares were purchased on 10 September 2007 at $6.20 per share. On 9 May 2011 these shares were an underwater investment.

I bought CRAY on 5 May 2010 at $5.71. In the span of three weeks CRAY lost 16% of its value, so I bought more at $4.79 to celebrate my 53rd birthday.

GDT::StocksStuffer::Cray Postpones 3Q'10 Results and Doesn't Say Why [2010.10.28]

Google.com::Quote::CRAY [10/06/1995-05/09/2011]

Vendors share for November 2010 TOP500 supercomputer sites, 29 (5.8%) of the top 500 supercomputers in the world were Crays. CRAY opened trading at $5.97 on 27 September 1995 and it closed down at $5.38. [Note: CRAY had a 1:4 stock split on 8 June 2006.] CRAY's all-time high was $71 on 2 September 1997.

On 3 May 2007, CRAY closed at $12.24 after which the company reported 1Q'07 results. On 4 May 2007, CRAY gapped down to open at $10.20 and it closed the day at $9.28. Trading volume was 3.2 million shares. On 9 May 2011, CRAY had been below $10 for four years.


Creator: Gerald Thurman [gthurman@gmail.com]
Created: 09 May 2011